Saturday, January 10, 2009

Chapel Veils.

In Australia chapel veils are very rare. Growing up I knew they had existed as my father sometimes refered to them, but I had never seen one worn until I was an adult. It was worn by an elderly European lady who knelt to receive the Eucharist on the tongue, which I had also never seen.

When we attended our first home education camp, I realised that they might be more common than I had thought, as many mothers and daughters wore the veil. I became intrigued. It was suggested to me that perhaps these women were somehow stuck in the past, or that they had perhaps rejected many elements of the Second Vatican Council? I wasn't so sure. One thing my history degree had taught me, was that a little imformation can be a dangerous thing! I'm a firm believer in hot having an opinion until you have more than a rudenantry knowledge of the topic. I knew nothing about chapel veils, not even that they were called chapel veils or mantillas. So one day I did a quick google search, and thought little more about it.

Last week Jenny blogged about chapel veils. I read the links on her post, which have had me thinking ever since!


The thing that struck me the most was 1 Corinthians 11:1-16 If I had read these verses, I had no recollection of it. I had not realised that Saint Paul specifcally instructed women to be veiled, and why.

At this point I will not be wearing a chapel veil. But I am enjoying learning why so many of my sisters in Christ are returing to this long held tradition. I encourage you to explore the articles here and elsewhere, so that we can be more throughly informed about this topic.

No comments: