Sunday, March 22, 2009

Perhaps...

Those who know me, know that I am passionate about literature. I particularly love the novels of Jane Austen. My favourite being Pride and Prejudice.

This morning I was reflecting on the main character, Elizabeth's education. She was of course, educated at home. The following conversation between Elizabeth and Lady Catherine de Bourgh had me rather excited!


"We never had any governess."

"No governess! How is that possible? Five daughters brought up at home without a governess! I never heard of such a thing. You mother must have been quite a slave to your education."

Elizabeth could hardly help smiling, as she assured her that had not been the case.

"Then who taught you? Who attended you? Without a governess you must have been neglected."

"Compared with some families, I believe we were; but such of us as wished to learn, never wanted the means. We were always encouraged to read, and had all the masters that were necessary..."


So could it be that Mrs. Bennett was an unschooler?

No comments: