Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Liturgy Of The Hours Made Easy!

For several years I have had a desire to pray the Liturgy of the Hours, or Divine office. One of the things which held me back was how complicated it seemed: a four volume set of books, with lots of flipping between pages, and five offices to pray. Whenever I sat with others praying the Office I became somewhat confused and wondered how I could attempt it on my own without someone to walk me through it!

While again researching the LOTH (not to be confused with LOTR!) I came across this ipod app. Surely it couldn't be as easy as it seemed? No expensive books to buy, no hours of working out how to use the books and flipping from one section to another. Well it is that easy!

This morning I prayed Lauds for the first time, all in the correct order. I was even able to listen to the beautiful hymn for today's Morning Prayer. Very peaceful, and so easy to follow. I still intend to but the LOTH books, but for the moment this is a wonderful way to ease into it both financially and logistically.

So now I am feeling much more confident that we will be able to include several of the LOTH prayers in our schedule.

2 comments:

Sue Elvis said...

I know what you mean about being complicated, Tricia! I didn't learn how to recite the Divine Office until my daughter took me through it step by step. She learnt it from the Benedictines. The ipod app looks wonderful but I lack an ipod! I was hoping there was an apps for PC but couldn't see one. God bless

Tricia said...

For us it was a cheaper option to buy an ipod, than to buy two sets of LOTH boooks. My elsest son already had an ipod, so we just share one between two, and all the hard work is done for us!