Monday, December 1, 2008

First Sunday of Advent

Yesterday we spent the afternoon getting ready for the wonderful season of Advent. The tree went up amidst much noise and excitement.
The Cat Chat Advent/Christmas CD was dusted off, and the Advent wreath was set up.



Unfortunately I am not as organised as I would like to be. Therefore, my candles are not new as they should be. But at least the wreath was in working order when the time came for it to be put into service.


An Advent highlight for Bilby and I, is reading The Jesse Tree . This is a must have for every family! Opening it on the first Sunday of Advent is like welcoming a much loved friend after a long absence. It is so beautifully written and engaging. I really enjoy putting on the gruff voice of the old carpenter at the beginning of the story, then allowing his voice to soften as we edge closer to Jesus' arrival.

This year we have decided to try our hand at making a modest Jesse Tree. True to form, I have yet to find the "tree" to hang our hand coloured symbols.


This Advent I feel as if we are entering more fully into this special season in the church calendar. I feel so very blessed to be part of the Catholic Church and to be able to celebrate her rich traditions.

2 comments:

Anne (aussieannie) said...

Your Christ Candle looks wonderful!~ I'm glad everyone had such a great time setting up, I remember it being magical when I was a child and I see it in my kids faces too, they love it!

Suzanne said...

Tricia you are a credit to your Catholic faith. In amidst all the dust, dirt, criticism, and sorrow of our diocese at this point in time it is wonderful to see the Holy Spirit guiding and protecting you, James, and your beautiful boys. You don't need new candles, the ones alight within you will shine and guide you once again to the wonder of Jesus' birth; Mary's YES, and Joseph total acceptance of the Angel's message.